Sunday, February 3, 2008

Caught






I'd been suffering a bad cold
just lying around like a feverish lizard
but after two days got tired of it
& ventured out to a poetry meeting
with a couple of strange conglomerations
of lines intended to be wryly humorous
or nobly Stoic, maybe you know me
maybe you don't, well,
probably you don't
This is so because I barely know myself
which is why I needed that meeting
to get some inspiration from old friends
even though they write the same themes
again & again
& that's part of them
part of their particular appeal
but then
when it's my turn
& this could just be my impression
well it obviously must be my impression
but after my turn there is general approval
but often someone or other of them
remains gazing at a ceiling tile
or tapping a pen on a notepad
but nobody asks a question
because it is generally assumed
that I have once again
skirted around my central theme
as playfully as usual
using funny words
juxtaposing concepts
like Pink Floyd coinciding
with white truffle searches
among the shredded coconut
that packs my head & a penchant
for supernumerary avatars
& a chorus of dubious laughter
Anyway I took a walk around the gardens
& snapped the shot above
the fading camellia
the honeybee
but after such riches, such luxury
a white mist, a cloud, lay on the surface
of the local bayou, & a lazy plume of fog
encircled a bare cypress tree
& I missed my camera, not to mention
adequate safety to pull over out of traffic
open the window & inhale that view
by the time I got back, the mist had cleared
the bare cypress tree looked winter dead
instead of about to ascend to heaven
just plain, casting spiky shadows now
around the cormorants' favorite haunt
So I was caught feeling sad to have missed
that opportunity, what might have been,
what was that never had been, nor will it ever
be the same again.

1 comment:

Kristin Allen said...

I'm reading Eckart Tolle's The Power of Now where he talks about humans as being separate from even our thoughts - we are simply Beings - and our thoughts have taken on too important a role in our lives. Above and before them came who we are, simply us without words, thoughts, emotions, expectations. And that is our higher self - the self that looks around and is in the moment is the enlightened person. Being concerned with the voices in our heads makes us unenlightened, even perhaps, full of garbage that we can't seem to take out, sifting through it again and again as if there is something there to keep when it should all just be disposed.
I have come to know you - through your blogs - as an observer, someone who is very in touch with her surroundings, even perhaps (whispering now) someone who is Present. This is frightening to imagine, but you may be one of the most sane people I know. Ha ha. And you thought there was something missing in you..some theme absent when in fact you are this perfect whole, this ever-present juicy peach. smirk.